SITKA – SouthEast Alaska Regional Health Consortium will be hosting its third free, health-related speaker series this fall. The new series of “Doc Talks” presentations will begin on Wednesday, Oct. 14.
At each session, a Mt. Edgecumbe Hospital provider will present a different topic and answer questions from the audience. The presentations are open to the community at no cost, and there is no registration required. Community members may attend as many “Doc Talks” as they like.
The series of bi-weekly presentations begins Oct. 14 and runs through Dec. 16, at the Hames Center, 121 John Brady Drive. Snacks and refreshments will be provided beginning at 6:30 p.m. with the educational session starting at 7 p.m.
The “Doc Talks” schedule is as follows:
• Oct. 14: Gio Villanueva, PT, DPT, ATC, LAT and Stephanie Vanderslice, PT, DPT – Managing chronic neck and back pain with physical therapy
• Oct. 28: Loren E. Laybourn, MD – Mammography – why we do it and what it means
• Nov. 4: David Vastola, MD & Valerie Edwards, MD – Staying healthy and avoiding diabetes
• Nov. 18: Grace T. Hwang, MD, Kelly Gebler, RN, & Todd Gebler, RT – So, you want to quit smoking.
• Dec. 2: Irbert L. Vega, MD, AAHIVS – World AIDS Day, HIV/AIDS in Alaska, and new treatment and prevention methods
• Dec. 16: John A. Baciocco, MD – Understanding medication risks for those over 65
For more information, contact SEARHC Health Promotion Community Health Educator Lauren Hughey at 966-8797.