Trump makes it difficult to take wiretapping accusation seriously

  • By RAMESH PONNURU
  • Wednesday, March 8, 2017 9:08am
  • Opinion

Suppose President Donald Trump has some basis for saying that the Barack Obama administration abused its investigative powers to go after him and his associates last year. The possibility cannot be ruled out at this point. But Trump and his aides are making it hard to take the accusation seriously.

On Saturday morning, Trump tweeted that he had just learned that Obama “had my wires tapped” in Trump Tower right before the election. Neither he nor his aides offered proof. The claim has now been denied by a spokesman for the former president, by FBI Director James Comey and by former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper.

Some people greeted Trump’s claim credulously. The president’s cheering section believed him, of course. So did some of his most bitter foes. Former Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean took it as a given that Trump was right about being wiretapped, but said that it proved that a judge had “found probable cause that Trump was engaging in criminal activity.”

But just because people with varying views have reasons to believe Trump doesn’t mean he’s right.

There was just enough in the news to buttress the story for the believers. Reports for Heat Street, the Guardian and the BBC over several months had suggested, with thin sourcing, that the FBI had sought to monitor transactions involving Trump aides. Of course, even if those reports are true, they do not establish what Trump alleged: that Obama had personally ordered the surveillance. They don’t even establish that Trump himself was being surveilled, or that the surveillance took the form of wiretapping.

But they do leave open the possibility that the Obama administration conducted improper surveillance of the Trump team. Julian Sanchez, a journalist who writes about technology and the law, raises one scenario: What if the FBI was asking for the authority to monitor foreigners as a back-door way to get incriminating information on Americans working for Trump? That would have opened the door to the politically motivated use of the Obama administration’s powers. The denials from Obama’s spokesmen, and the other current and former government officials, do not cover this scenario.

One way or another, it’s worth finding out. But Trump’s tactic of flinging around wild accusations based loosely on a few news reports makes uncovering the truth harder.

Nothing Trump’s own administration has said or done so far indicates that it takes his accusations seriously. And that starts at the top with the president himself. Trump explicitly accused his predecessor of misconduct on the level of “Watergate,” and then moved on to tweeting about his feud with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Trump press aide Sarah Huckabee Sanders went on ABC to say that her boss may have been onto something — which means she can’t vouch for the accuracy of his assertion.

Sean Spicer, his press secretary, has taken a similar tack: Trump’s claim has become a troubling report, on his telling. He then said that since oversight is continuing, the White House would have no further comment on the matter, a stance that was hard to square with Trump’s decision to give it maximum publicity. Spicer didn’t let an hour pass without commenting on it again.

In any other administration, this would be bizarre behavior. For this one, it’s par for the course.

Again: The possibility that Trump has some legitimate grievance about the behavior of the Obama administration can’t be ruled out. But there’s no reason to take that possibility more seriously than Trump himself seems to be taking it.

Ramesh Ponnuru is a Bloomberg View columnist. Readers may email him at rponnuru@bloomberg.net.


Ramesh Ponnuru is a Bloomberg View columnist. Readers may email him at rponnuru@bloomberg.net.


More in Opinion

Web
Have something to say?

Here’s how to add your voice to the conversation.

Northern sea ice, such as this surrounding the community of Kivalina, has declined dramatically in area and thickness over the last few decades. Photo courtesy Ned Rozell
20 years of Arctic report cards

Twenty years have passed since scientists released the first version of the… Continue reading

Dr. Karissa Niehoff
OPINION: Protecting the purpose

Why funding schools must include student activities.

A sign reading, "Help Save These Historic Homes" is posted in front of a residence on Telephone Hill on Friday Nov. 21, 2025. (Mari Kanagy / Juneau Empire)
OPINION: The Telephone Hill cost is staggering

The Assembly approved $5.5 million to raze Telephone Hill as part of… Continue reading

Win Gruening (courtesy)
OPINION: Eaglecrest’s opportunity to achieve financial independence, if the city allows it

It’s a well-known saying that “timing is everything.” Certainly, this applies to… Continue reading

Gov. Mike Dunleavy gestures during his State of the State address on Jan. 22, 2026. (Photo by Corinne Smith/Alaska Beacon)
OPINION: It’s time to end Alaska’s fiscal experiment

For decades, Alaska has operated under a fiscal and budgeting system unlike… Continue reading

Atticus Hempel stands in a row of his shared garden. (photo by Ari Romberg)
My Turn: What’s your burger worth?

Atticus Hempel reflects on gardening, fishing, hunting, and foraging for food for in Gustavus.

At the Elvey Building, home of UAF’s Geophysical Institute, Carl Benson, far right, and Val Scullion of the GI business office attend a 2014 retirement party with Glenn Shaw. Photo by Ned Rozell
Alaska Science Forum: Carl Benson embodied the far North

Carl Benson’s last winter on Earth featured 32 consecutive days during which… Continue reading

Van Abbott is a long-time resident of Alaska and California. He has held financial management positions in government and private organizations, and is now a full-time opinion writer. He served in the late nineteen-sixties in the Peace Corps as a teacher. (Contributed)
When lying becomes the only qualification

How truth lost its place in the Trump administration.

Jamie Kelter Davis/The New York Times
Masked federal agents arrive to help immigration agents detain immigrants and control protesters in Chicago, June 4, 2025. With the passage of President Trump’s domestic policy law, the Department of Homeland Security is poised to hire thousands of new Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents, and double detention space.
OPINION: $85 billion and no answers

How ICE’s expansion threatens law, liberty, and accountability.

Yereth Rosen/Alaska Beacon
The entrance to the Alaska Gasline Development Corp.’s Anchorage office is seen on Aug. 11, 2023. The state-owned AGDC is pushing for a massive project that would ship natural gas south from the North Slope, liquefy it and send it on tankers from Cook Inlet to Asian markets. The AGDC proposal is among many that have been raised since the 1970s to try commercialize the North Slope’s stranded natural gas.
My Turn: Alaskans must proceed with caution on gasline legislation

Alaskans have watched a parade of natural gas pipeline proposals come and… Continue reading

Win Gruening (courtesy)
OPINION: Juneau Assembly members shift priorities in wish list to Legislature

OPINION: Juneau Assembly members shift priorities in wish list to Legislature