This photo released Friday by French Police shows 26-year old Salah Abdeslam, who is wanted by police in connection with recent terror attacks in Paris, as police investigations continue. The notice reads in French: "Call for witnesses - Police are hunting a suspect : Salah Abdeslam, born on Sept. 15, 1989 Brussels, Belgium. ...Dangerous individual don't intervene yourself".

This photo released Friday by French Police shows 26-year old Salah Abdeslam, who is wanted by police in connection with recent terror attacks in Paris, as police investigations continue. The notice reads in French: "Call for witnesses - Police are hunting a suspect : Salah Abdeslam, born on Sept. 15, 1989 Brussels, Belgium. ...Dangerous individual don't intervene yourself".

After Paris attacks, fugitive slipped through dragnet

  • By LORI HINNANT and JAMEY KEATEN
  • Monday, November 16, 2015 1:01am
  • NewsNation-World

PARIS — Hours after the synchronized attacks that terrorized Paris, French police questioned and released the suspect who is now the focus of an international manhunt, officials told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Saleh Abdeslam, 26, was one of three men in a getaway car, headed for France’s border with Belgium, when police pulled them over after daybreak Saturday. The French president had already announced new border controls to prevent the perpetrators from escaping. Hours had passed since investigators identified Abdeslam as the renter of a Volkswagen Polo that carried hostage-takers to the Paris theater where almost three-quarters of the 129 victims were killed.

It’s not clear why the local French police, known as gendarmes, didn’t take Abdeslam into custody. They checked his identification, but it’s not known whether they had been informed of his apparent connection to the attacks.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

“It was a simple check. There was no lookout notice at the time of the traffic stop,” a police official told the AP.

Asked whether Abdeslam’s name had been shared over police networks by then, the official simply said: “I have no explanation.”

It may not have been the only missed opportunity before and after the attack.

The day before the attacks, senior Iraqi intelligence officials warned France and other members of the U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State that assaults by the militant group could be imminent, according to a dispatch obtained by the AP. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the group’s leader, had ordered supporters to use guns and bombs and take hostages in the days ahead in coalition countries as well as Iran and Russia, Thursday’s dispatch said.

The dispatch did not say where or when the attacks might take place, and a senior French security official told the AP that French intelligence gets this kind of communication “all the time” and “every day.”

But Iraqi intelligence officials told the AP that they also shared specific details with French authorities before the attack — including the size of a sleeper cell of militants they said was directing attackers sent back to France from Islamic State’s de-facto capital in Raqqa, Syria.

These additional details were not corroborated by French or Western security officials. But one U.S. official said Sunday that the evident weaponry skill displayed by the attackers suggests that they might have received training somewhere.

Nearly all the French, Iraqi and U.S. officials providing information for this story spoke on condition of anonymity because they lack authorization to share details publicly.

By Sunday night, French authorities put out a public appeal for help locating Abdeslam, showing his mug shot and warning that he is too dangerous to be confronted. One of his brothers had detonated a suicide vest down the street from the theater; another was ultimately detained in Belgium, officials said.

The two other men who drove across the border with Abdeslam were arrested. Belgian Interior Minister Jan Jambon told the AP that suspects detained in the Molenbeek neighborhood of Brussels had been stopped in the town of Cambrai, France, “in a regular roadside check” but that police had had no suspicion about them at the time and they were let go quickly.

Hours later, Belgian police, working on a request from the French, detained three men — including one of Abdeslam’s brothers — in Molenbeek, which authorities consider to be a focal point for Islamic extremists and fighters going to Syria from Belgium.

Abdeslam, a French resident of Belgium, was not among those arrested.

Three French citizens, including one of Abdeslam’s brothers, were among the seven people who died carrying out the attacks at France’s national stadium, popular Paris nightspots and the sold-out rock show at the Bataclan concert hall.

On Saturday, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said the Polo “was rented by a French national living in Belgium,” without naming him. He said authorities believe there were three coordinated teams of attackers, wearing explosive vests and carrying an arsenal of automatic weapons. Three men blew themselves up outside Stade de France stadium during a France-Germany soccer match; three used the Polo to get to the Bataclan, where they all died in a standoff with police, they said.

Authorities have said little about the fate of the third team, which drove a rented Seat compact that carried out a rampage of drive-by shootings on bars and eateries in eastern Paris. One police official said the Seat dropped off the brother of Abdeslam who blew himself up at Au Comptoir Voltaire restaurant. The car was later found abandoned, with three Kalashnikovs inside.

___

Philippe Sotto in Paris, Qassim Abdul-Zahra in Baghdad, Eric Tucker in Washington and Raf Casert in Brussels contributed to this report.

___

This story fixes a typo in the 2nd paragraph to correct the number of victims to 129, instead of 189.

More in News

(Juneau Empire file photo)
Aurora forecast through the week of March 23

These forecasts are courtesy of the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ Geophysical Institute… Continue reading

Alaska Native youth dance at Celebration in Juneau on Wednesday, June 5, 2024. (Jasz Garrett / Juneau Empire)
Value of Alaska Native education emphasized by Sealaska Heritage Institute president at US Senate hearing

Rosita Ḵaaháni Worl says federal funds for cultural education vital to Alaska Native students’ success.

An Eaglecrest skier cruises downhill in warm temperatures and scant snow on Wednesday. The ski area announced Thursday its last day of the season will be this Sunday. (Eaglecrest Ski Area photo)
Eaglecrest Ski Area to end season a week early on Sunday with concert, but no Slush Cup

Poor conditions much of the season limited operations, officials say rain may wipe out scant snow left.

NOAA Fisheries Alaska region, hit hard by staffing losses, helps oversee the harvests off Alaska, which produce about half the fish caught in U.S. waters. Here, a trawl net full of pollock — the largest volume fishery off Alaska — comes aboard the Northern Hawk during the summer 2023 harvest. (Photo by Hal Bernton)
Internal memo outlines stark impacts of federal downsizing on Alaska regional fishery agency

Understaffed federal offices supporting fishing regulators cut even further, as NOAA Fisheries works ‘to keep the lights on’

Kids, parents, grandparents and U.S. Forest Service staff perform a vigorous reenactment of the life of a snowflake during a Mendenhall Minis event at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center on Saturday, Feb. 22. 2025. (Mark Sabbatini / Juneau Empire file photo)
Glacier visitor center plans “half time” operations during tourism season due to mass firings

CBJ tourism manager proposes spending $200K in passenger fees to help organizations with staff at glacier.

(Michael Penn / Juneau Empire file photo)
Police calls for Tuesday, April 1, 2025

This report contains public information from law enforcement and public safety agencies.

(Michael Penn / Juneau Empire file photo))
Police calls for Monday, March 31, 2025

This report contains public information from law enforcement and public safety agencies.

Heidi Drygas, executive director of the Alaska State Employees Association, leads a cheer on the steps of the Alaska State Capitol on Friday, Feb. 14, 2025. (Jasz Garrett / Juneau Empire file photo)
State employee salary study misses another deadline, prompting House resolution demanding to see data

Critics say Dunleavy administration is withholding results showing state pay is uncompetitive.

U.S. Sen. Dan Sullivan, R-Alaska, speaks to the Alaska Legislature on Thursday, March 20, 2025. (James Brooks/Alaska Beacon)
Murkowski votes to oppose Canada tariffs, Sullivan votes in support

Vote largely symbolic since resolution lacks support in the Republican-controlled U.S. House.

Most Read