Air conditioning in athletes village hit by Rio budget cuts

  • By STEPHEN WADE and JENNY BARCHFIELD
  • Friday, December 4, 2015 1:06am
  • News

RIO DE JANEIRO — The 10,500 athletes at next year’s Olympics will feel first-hand the deep budget cuts buffeting the Rio de Janeiro Games: they won’t have air conditioning in their bedrooms unless someone pays for it.

Charging for air conditioning is part of what games organizers call finding “fat” and cutting it.

Mario Andrada, spokesman for the Rio Games, said in an interview that organizers have found up to 2 billion reals ($520 million) that needed to be cut as part of balancing the operating budget of 7.4 billion reals ($1.9 billion).

Asked specifically about the need for AC in the bedrooms, Andrada replied: “We don’t think it’s going to be critical (to have air conditioning) there.”

Though the games take place in the South American winter — Aug. 5-21, 2016 — it could still be hot. This year on Aug. 19 the temperature soared to 35.4 degrees C (95.7 degrees F).

Andrada said national federations might pay for some athletes, though it’s unclear if poorer federations could handle the added costs.

Rio Olympic organizers are being hit by a deep recession, a steep fall in the value of the local currency against the dollar, and 10 percent inflation. There is also a spreading corruption scandal involving state-run oil giant Petrobras that has been part of triggering impeachment proceedings against Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff.

This wasn’t the mood in 2009 when Rio won the bid, setting off wild celebrations on Copacabana beach.

“We are discussing with our partners, especially the IOC, what kind of levels of service we can reduce,” Andrada said.

Rio officials say most of the cuts involve “behind-the-scenes” facilities, unseen on television or by ticket-paying customers. This could involve organizers buying cheaper products and services, reducing signage, or using more temporary structures.

“It (cutting) hasn’t been painful so far,” Andrada said. “It will be painful from now on because we need to finish the process.”

The games were to have 5,000 employees when they open in eight months. That’s been scaled back by 500.

“Some of them are going to be unhappy,” Andrada said. “That’s normal.”

The cuts will be welcomed by those asking why Brazil, with poor schools, under-funded hospitals and high taxes, has spent more than $20 billion to organize last year’s World Cup and the Olympics.

The image of thrift suits International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach, who has tried to change a perception the games are too expensive and benefit only a few.

In a reply to an email, the IOC congratulated organizers “for working toward a balanced budget.”

The IOC contributes about $1.5 billion to the operating budget.

Fernando Meirelles, the famous Brazilian filmmaker of “City of God” who is working on the opening ceremony, accepts the austerity.

“A country that doesn’t have basic sanitation can’t spend the fortune that was spent in London or Beijing,” he said.

Andrada said the cuts would not affect the sports themselves.

“As long as we don’t compromise the games, the quality of the competitions, the experience of the public — then we have to look for efficiencies,” he said.

The operating budget is for running the games themselves with income from the IOC, marketing, tickets sales and local sponsorship sales.

A separate capital budget of about 39 billion reals ($10 billion), a mix of public and private money, is being used to build sports venues, roads and other facilities needed to stage the games.

Andrada said a $700 million “contingency fund” backed by the federal government in the original bid document could still be used as a bailout.

The IOC requires host countries to make up for any budget shortfalls.

“We haven’t been told that they (government) won’t put up the money,” Andrada said. “The $700 million is a commitment the government made in the contract, so it’s for the government to decide.”

Unrelated to budget cuts, Andrada said organizers had yet to sign a contract with a private energy company to supply electricity for the games, meaning that power may come only from temporary generators.

“We do have a concrete plan,” Andrada said. “The plan is being executed but we haven’t got the final solution for the problem.”

Andrada termed using only generators the “B Plan” and said the responsibility to provide energy belonged to the national government.

The IOC said “we expect the Brazilian organizers to deliver” on energy provision.

Andrada acknowledged delays were tied to Brazil’s bureaucracy, particularly with the politics and corruption scandals upstaging the Olympics.

“This is a problem that should have been fixed a while ago,” he said. “We will have energy. Don’t get scared.”

___

Stephen Wade on Twitter: http://twitter.com/StephenWadeAP

More in News

The northern lights are seen from the North Douglas launch ramp late Monday, Jan. 19. A magnetic storm caused unusually bright northern lights Monday evening and into Tuesday morning. (Chloe Anderson/Juneau Empire)
Rare geomagnetic storm causes powerful aurora display in Juneau

The northern lights were on full display Monday evening.

Google Maps
3.79 acres of land across from Costco and The Home Depot may soon become an apartment complex with up to 120 units.
Juneau Assembly moves forward with housing proposals

Assembly members voted to advance six housing proposals, including four affordable housing projects.

Clarise Larson / Juneau Empire
Gov. Mike Dunleavy signs a memorandum of understanding March 9, 2023 between the Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities and Goldbelt Inc. to pursue engineering and design services to determine whether it’s feasible to build a new ferry terminal facility in Juneau at Cascade Point.
Cascade Point ferry terminal unpopular among committee members, public

The construction of the new ferry terminal has received $28.5M in funds while the ferry system itself remains underfunded.

Early in the morning at 4 a.m. cruise ship coming in to Pond Inlet, Nunavut. (Carpenter Media Group file)
Alaskan Dream Cruises announces shutdown after 15 years

Allen Marine Tours shuts down subsidiary small ship cruise line Alaska Dream Cruises.

teaser
Reporter joins Empire staff

Atticus Hempel is a new reporter at the Juneau Empire.

Teaser
Weaver Selected For SHI’s Historic Mountain Goat Chilkat Robe Project

Sydney Akagi will weave the first purely mountain goat robe in more than 150 years.

Seven storytellers will each share seven minute-long stories, at the Kunéix Hidi Northern Light United Church at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 10, benefitting the Southeast Alaska Food Bank. (Photo by Bogomil Mihaylov on Unsplash)
Mudrooms returns to Juneau’s Kunéix Hidi Northern Light United Church

Seven storytellers will present at 7 p.m. on Feb. 10.

The Alaska State Capitol building stands on Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2025. (Mari Kanagy/Juneau Empire)
Rep. Story introduces bill aiming to stabilize education funding

House Bill 261 would change how schools rely on student counts.

Weekly events guide: Juneau community calendar for Feb. 9 – 15
Juneau Community Calendar

Weekly events guide: Feb. 9 – 15

Most Read