There are many agencies offering assistance to workers affected by the federal government shutdown.
The City and Borough of Juneau created a website to centralize these efforts at beta.juneau.org/fedassist.
• CBJ will be forgiving late fees and interest on unpaid utility bills for federal employees. Contact the Collection’s office at 586-5268 for more information.
• The Southeast Alaska Food Bank is offering 50 pounds of food per federal employee family on Mondays from noon-4 p.m. through the shutdown. Bring CAC identification or military dependent identification to collect.
• Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is open and able to assist any family with children under the age of 5, as well as moms who are pregnant or postpartum. For more information call 463-4099.
• Alaska Electric Light and Power Company (AEL&P) has a credit counselor available to discuss payment arrangements for customers affected by the shutdown. Call 463-6305 for more information.
• Coppa is offering free drip coffee and tea to federal employees.
• Forno Rosso, Costco, Jerry’s Meats and Juneau Greens are offering free pizza at the Juneau Arts and Cultural Center on Friday Jan. 25 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for U.S. Coast Guard, Transportation Security Administration and other federal employees. If not in uniform, please bring government ID to participate.
• Mommy N Me Juneau is offering 15 percent off discount to active duty military and spouses and federal employees. Bring proof of employment to qualify.
• Papa John’s Pizza is offering $6 large pepperoni and cheese pizzas for federal government workers on Wednesday Jan. 23. Offer available in stores for carryout only.
• The Juneau Feds Stand Together Facebook support group is organizing a Federal Shutdown Community Event: United We Stand As Alaskans on Friday Jan. 25 from 4-6 p.m. at the JACC. If you would like to make and donate appetizers or baked goods, have a booth with information related to aid or community resources or assist in the planning committee with good ideas, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The United Way has a list of year-round resources available in Juneau listed online at www.unitedwayseak.org.
• Petro Marine Services is granting extended payment terms. Additionally any late fees that normally apply to past due balances will be waived. Contact Kimberly King at 586-4400 for more information.
• Juneau Symphony is offering federal employees and their families to attend one of the two main stage concerts this weekend, Saturday, Jan. 26 at 7 p.m. or Sunday, Jan. 27 at 3 p.m. at the Juneau-Douglas High School Auditorium, with presentation of Federal ID or CAC card. Seats are on a first come, first served basis.
• Resurrection Lutheran Church is doing a special food distribution for federal workers on Wednesdays from 4:30-7 p.m.
• Bartlett Regional Hospital is implementing a temporary payment deferral program to assist patients impacted by the shutdown. Bartlett Regional Hospital will allow federally employed patients to apply for a deferred payment plan that will place a “hold” on all eligible accounts during this time. Patients that qualify for the program will not be considered for bill collection during the duration of the shutdown. Such accounts will not accrue late fees or interest. The patient will need to make the request for consideration either by phone or in person at the hospital’s business office. Eligibility will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and determination will be made at that time. To request consideration for this program or for further questions, please contact: Collection Supervisor, Rachel Wasserman, 907-796-8826, Business Office Director, Tami Lawson-Churchill, 907-796-8435 or visit their business office.
• Red Dog Saloon is offering free burgers to active U.S. Coast Guard members who show ID.
• There will be 200 tickets for furloughed employees available for the Khu.Eex’ concert on Jan. 28 at 7:30 p.m. Pick up tickets with your federal ID at the JACC on Jan. 25 from 4-6 p.m. or at the door before the show.
• Free coffee, tea or lotus drink at any Sacred Grounds Cafe with federal ID.
• Free chili or soup at Sacred Grounds Andrew Hope location with federal ID.
• Free basic car wash at Sacred Shrine Auto Detailing with federal ID.
This list will be updated as more information becomes available. If you have something you would like to add to this list email email@example.com.
• Contact reporter Mollie Barnes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 523-2228.