Capital City Fire/Rescue responded to multiple small fires on Wednesday as dry weather persists across the region.
The department has also issued a burn ban in effect until Friday evening, while the National Weather Service also has a red flag warning in place until 9 p.m.
The two fires were caused by improperly disposed of smoking materials, according to a CCFR social media post. The first, near the Downtown Transit Center, was caused by a cigarette and ignited an area of mulch. The second, near the Goldbelt Mount Roberts Tram, was approximately eight square feet and was caused by an improperly discarded cigar, according to the social media post.
This weekend is expected to break the spell of sunny weather, with the National Weather Service forecasting rain.
• Contact reporter Michael S. Lockett at (757) 621-1197 or firstname.lastname@example.org.