Fog rises over the green mountains of Douglas, threading its way through the trees. Downtown, rain pounds the pavement daily. Ah, summertime.
Summer is in full swing, and we at the Empire have a number of projects going on. Here’s a short round-up of everything you need to know:
• Instagram: The Empire is back on Instagram! Give our new page — Juneau.Life — a follow. It features photos of daily life in Juneau, both from our staff and also from community members. Want to share your photos with us? Message them to us via Instagram, Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Seeking food critic: Are you a foodie? The Empire is searching for someone to write reviews of food and drinks served at Juneau restaurants and bars. If interested, please email me at email@example.com with a few sentences about yourself, including any qualifications, accompanied with writing clips. Please also disclose any potential conflicts of interest you may have with the local restaurant industry.
• Internship: The Empire is accepting candidates for its fall internship program. The program is called “School to work” and is available to college students in exchange for academic credit. Interested in learning more? Send in a resume, writing clips and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Community Happenings: For a few months now, we have been highlighting local events on page A2 of the newspaper every day. Have an event you’d like to promote? Email it to us for consideration: email@example.com.
• Juneau History: Our former intern Tasha Elizarde wrote recently about her experience penning “This Day in Juneau History” for the Empire. Give it a read online, if you haven’t already. You’ll also continue to find a memorable headline from the Empire’s archives in the newspaper on a regular basis on page A2.
• Old School Cool: Speaking of history, if you scroll through the Empire’s Facebook page, you may find some of our “Old School Cool” posts, that we are featuring regularly. Heather Bell was first up, rocking her Empire paperboy outfit back in 1976. Juneau’s Marilyn Holmes was next, practicing ikebana in 1983. Local faces, vintage photographs every #tbt. Have one you’d like to submit? Send them our way: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• People of Juneau: Thank you all for such a positive response to our new monthly segment, People of Juneau, wherein community members nominate someone to be in the news for just basically being a good person or colorful character. We have received multiple nominations for this month’s profile, and are still in the process of selecting who will be featured this month. Stay tuned for the article! (If you’d like to nominate someone for next month’s People of Juneau, email email@example.com with who you are nominating and why, and their contact information.)
That’s it for now. See you next Sunday.
• Emily Russo Miller is editor of the Juneau Empire. Contact her at 523-2263 or firstname.lastname@example.org.