Juneau was well-represented in the Chilkat Challenge Triathlon on Sunday in Haines.
Juneau fielded five teams (two and three-person) and four solo competitors for the 37-mile paddle-bike-run triathlon, which starts in Mosquito Lake and ends at the Chilkat State Park.
Like last year, A’s Ablaze, made up of Alisha Falberg and Adam Moser, was the first team across the finish line. Falberg and Moser completed the race in 3 hours, 30 minutes, 3 seconds. It was roughly a half hour slower than their time last year, but this year’s run was approximately three miles longer than last year’s. Falberg’s and Moser’s time was the fastest overall.
Big Guy and the Monster, made up of Justin Fantasia and Eliza Dorn, and Tri N Hard (Kinda), made up of Jordan Watson, Christina Vasquez and Adrienne Antoni, came in second and fourth, respectively. A’s Ablaze and Big Guy and the Monster — who finished just five minutes apart — were neck and neck most of the race. Fantasia and Moser paddled and ran, while Falberg and Dorn did the cycling.
“We had a really nice ride,” Dorn said. “We had both just done the Kluane (Chilkat International Bike Relay) … and so for both of us it was a really enjoyable ride because there wasn’t as strong of a headwind and it was only 20 miles compared to 80 miles.”
Juneau’s Worth A Tri (Christina Schulte, Sheli DeLaney, Chrissy McNally) finished in seventh place while Tongass Wild (Bryn Fluharty, Haley Kardek, Nicholas Monck) came in ninth in the team category.
Dorn’s husband, Justin, won the solo male title with his 3:34:21 finish. No stranger to triathlons — he was the runner-up in last year’s Aukeman — Dorn said he wasn’t used to racing on a kayak, his chosen watercraft (canoes, pack rafts and paddleboards were also allowed).
“I didn’t go as hard as some of the other guys on the kayak leg just because I’m not as experienced,” he said.
Other Juneau solo competitors included Steven Gabelein (eighth, 4:11:09), Charles Sidlinger (11th, 4:26:31) and Meredith Trainor (14th, 5:04:09).
Chilkat Challenge Triathlon results
Sunday, July 1, 2018
Team Mixed Adult
1. A’s Ablaze, Juneau, 3:30:03
2. Big Guy and the Monster, Juneau, 3:35:13
3. Team GWB, Anchorage, 3:37:23
4. Tri N Hard (Kinda), Juneau, 4:02:46
5. Sea-ward, Orting, 4:03:38
6. Dashing Divas, Whitehorse, 4:21:14
7. Worth A Tri, Juneau, 4:31:13
8. The Double Doubles, Whitehorse, 4:38:32
9. Tongass Wild, Juneau, 4:40:42
10. All dunn, Whitehorse, 5:11:22
Solo Male Adult
1. Justin Dorn, Juneau, 3:34:21
2. Chris Muse, Haines, 3:43:34
3. Alex Linett, Kirkland, 3:56:03
4. Tim Hockin, Haines, 3:57:00
5. Garrett Montgomery, Haines, 4:05:26
6. Matthew Jillson, Essex Junction, 4:08:19
7. James Valentine, Petersburg, 4:10:47
8. Steven Gabelein, Juneau, 4:11:09
9. Jordan Baumgartner, Haines, 4:15:38
10. Jesse McGraw, Haines, 4:23:00
11. Charles Sidlinger, Juneau, 4:26:31
12. Wayne Smyth, Whitehorse, 4:29:41
Solo Female Adult
1. Alixanne Goodman, Haines, 3:51:39
2. Kayla Brewer, Haines, 3:59:48
3. Alisa Beske, Haines, 4:02:06
4. Alissa Henry, Haines, 4:05:31
5. Tara Stehelin, Whitehorse, 4:18:18
6. Kathleen Froese, Whitehorse, 4:20:49
7. Iliana Stehelin, Whitehorse, 4:23:14
8. Liz Segars, Turlock, 4:23:21
9. Alison Landreth, Whitehorse, 4:33:59
10. Stephanie Coombes, Whitehorse, 4:34:00
11. Becky Altenburg, Anchorage, 4:36:37
12. Katrina Wohlfarth, Whitehorse, 4:48:51
13. Stephanie Hawney, Whitehorse, 4:50:41
14. Meredith Trainor, Juneau, 5:04:09
• Contact sports reporter Nolin Ainsworth at 523-2272 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow Empire Sports on Twitter at @akempiresports.