Every act of kindness creates a ripple with no end.
As we know, kindness comes in all shapes and sizes. Acts of kindness are the donations, time that supports youth athletics and activities, amazing programs and service organizations, coaches who offer countless hours of guidance, amazing STEM, arts and music programs…folks who smile, open doors, connect, and listen. This is all kindness, and Juneau expresses kindness every day of the year.
This year of hosting kindness in Juneau has been wonderful. R.O.C.K. Juneau has reached out to learn and share all the hundreds of amazing actions, plans and strategies that support young people in our community. We’ve also asked the tough question, about where the gaps and needs are.
With you, we are in thanksgiving to this community. Thank you for your generosity, your time, your concern and shared interest in building a community where kids and teens have opportunity, resources and connections for a healthy life.
Our young people have learning and support opportunities that span childhood and adolescence. Stitched together, they offer our young people the opportunities they need and deserve.
Here’s a sampling of the supports Juneau offers:
• Healthy pregnancy and childbirth preparation classes
• Breastfeeding and newborn care classes
• Just for Dads class
• Parents as Teachers, a home visiting program supporting healthy child development
• Imagination Library program
• Turf for Tots, monthly family play time at the Fieldhouse
• Head Start & Kinder-Ready Preschool classes
• Integrated Preschool programs
• Breakfast programs in the schools
• Tlingit Culture Language and Literacy Program
• Scouts, 4H, sports & unified sports, community schools, STEM, Fine Arts Camp, JAMM
• Tlingit & Sm’algyax language learning groups
• Big Brothers/Big Sisters
• ORCA, inclusive outdoor recreation
• Sources of Strength
• Teen Health Center, Teen Talk Tuesday, Teen Speak
• Navigators and Wellbriety programs
• Youth Employment Program, YEP
• UAS Career Education programs
Our hope is that you’ll join us in thanking the people in your life that support kids in Juneau. It may be a family member who goes out of their way, a medical provider, a neighbor, a work colleague, a teacher or childcare provider-anyone who shows kindness to kids, and our town.
Every act of kindness, changes Juneau for the better.
Special Alert: We’re still hoping for a new group or organization to take on hosting Kindness in Juneau in 2019! Please connect with Becky Roth at ROCKJuneau@gmail.com.
• Tayler Shae is the Early Literacy Outreach Coordinator with AEYC and Becky Roth is the coordinator for R.O.C.K. Juneau. They can each be contacted at ROCKJuneau@gmail.com. R.O.C.K. Juneau is a monthly column that continues the kindness celebration by hosting a Year of Kindness for Kids during 2018.