This report contains public information available to the Empire from law enforcement and public safety agencies. This report includes arrest and citation information, not conviction information. Anyone listed in this report is presumed innocent. Anyone with information about a crime can report a tip anonymously to juneaucrimeline.com.
• At 10:39 p.m. Saturday, the Juneau Police Department responded to the 2400 block of Douglas Highway to investigate an unattended death. Investigation continues. JPD Lt. Krag Campbell said the deceased is 69-year-old Juneau resident Mary Merritt. The death is not considered suspicious, Campbell said, and next of kin has been notified.
• At 1:33 a.m. Sunday, JPD responded to the 100 block of Marine Way to investigate the reported possession of a small amount of drugs.
Motor vehicle crash
• At 2:19 a.m. Sunday, JPD responded to a motor vehicle crash in the lower parking lot of the Breakwater Inn, Campbell said. A 20-year-old woman was driving outbound on Egan Drive, Campbell said, when she lost control of her white 1999 Chevy pickup and drove into the parking lot. The truck hit a 1988 Ford van that was parked there, Campbell said, and both vehicles are totaled. The woman, a Juneau resident, was taken to Bartlett Regional Hospital and medevaced out of town, Campbell said. The woman is in stable condition, Campbell said, though initial reports showed she had a broken pelvis and collarbone. Alcohol, drugs and excessive speed appear to be factors, Campbell said. The police are not releasing the woman’s name because she has not been charged with anything. Investigation continues.
• At 5 a.m. Sunday, JPD responded to the 9000 block of Egan Drive to investigate a vehicle in a ditch.
• At 3:08 p.m. Saturday, JPD responded to the 8700 block of Glacier Highway to investigate the report of a theft from Payless Shoes.
• At 3:27 p.m. Saturday, JPD responded to the 5100 block of Glacier Highway to investigate the report of a shoplift. Investigation continues.
• At 4:43 p.m. Saturday, JPD responded to the 200 block of Fourth Street to investigate the report of a 48-year-old woman who reported a stolen phone.
• At 8:46 p.m. Saturday, JPD responded to the 800 block of 12th Street to investigate the reported theft of a vehicle in the downtown area.
• At 5:50 a.m. Sunday, JPD responded to the 3000 block of Vintage Boulevard to investigate the reported theft of tools from a construction site.
• At 7:52 p.m. Saturday, JPD arrested Oscar Snell, 46, in the 9100 block of Cinema Drive for criminal trespass. Alcohol was a factor.
• At 6:42 a.m. Sunday, JPD responded to the 9400 block of Berners Avenue to investigate the report of a 32-year-old man who reported his unlocked white Chevy Silverado had been broken into. Nothing of value was taken, he reported.