The Alaska SeaLife Center will accept nominations until Dec. 7 for the Alaska Ocean Leadership Awards, which recognize those who have made significant contributions to ocean sciences, education and resource management in Alaska.
Awards open for public nomination are:
• The Marine Research Award, given to a scientist, team of scientists or an institution that has made an original breakthrough contribution to any field of scientific knowledge about Alaska’s oceans.
• The Marine Science Outreach Award, given to a person, team or organization that has made an outstanding contribution to ocean literacy via formal or informal education, media or other communication about Alaska’s marine ecosystems.
• The Walter J. & Ermalee Hickel Lifetime Achievement Award, given to an individual or institution that has made an exceptional contribution to management of Alaska’s ocean resources over a period of 20 or more years.
• The Stewardship & Sustainability Award, given to an industry initiative that demonstrates the highest commitment to sustainability of ocean resources.
• The Hoffman-Green Ocean Youth Award, given to an individual or team of Alaskan youths ages 12-19 who have displayed dedication to promoting the understanding and stewardship of Alaska’s oceans.
The youth award includes a $500 cash prize; the other awards includes a $1,000 prize.
Awards will be presented at the Alaska Marine Science Symposium in January 2016. To make a nomination for any of these awards visit alaskasealife.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.