Firefighters Friday night extinguished a small fire at Dzantik’i Heeni Middle School, according to Capital City Fire/Rescue.
At about 10:41 p.m. firefighters responded to an automatic fire alarm at the middle school, CCFR stated in a social media post. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered smoke inside of the school and found a fire in the life skills classroom on the first floor, according to CCFR. The fire was quickly extinguished, no injuries were reported and the brief blaze caused an estimated $10,000 of damage.
A fire origin investigation determined that the fire followed an event held at a school in which a boiler was used to melt chocolate for a chocolate fountain. A burner was not turned off after the event, which eventually led to melted plastic that activated the building’s smoke alarm system, according to CCFR. The sprinkler head in the area of the fire did not activate because the heat generated rose up the stove-top ventilation fan.
• Contact the Juneau Empire newsroom at (907)308-4895.