Sometimes financial emergencies are simply unavoidable.
Whether these hardships are stemming from a job loss, illness, urgent home repairs, or other unexpected expenses, emergency loans can help to cover any number of these unforeseen circumstances.
If you’re in the market for an emergency loan, you’re probably in a hurry to secure cash. Many of these loans promise a quick and easy approval process, helping you access the funds ASAP.
While emergency loans can help you get through some tricky situations, some loan options are better than others. For instance, certain lenders will promise fast access to cash, but will also bake steep fees and high-interest rates into the loan.
If you don’t have enough in your savings account or emergency fund to cover these unexpected expenses, that overwhelming stress could lead you to choose the wrong loan.
Even if you’re in a hurry, it’s still important to compare all your options. This could wind up saving you money in the long run.
In this article, we discuss the different types of emergency loans, compare options from various online lenders, and provide tips when choosing which loan and lender to go with.
Best Emergency Loans
- Rapid1k.com – best emergency loans for fast funding
- BadCreditLoans.com – best emergency loans for borrowers with bad credit
- PersonalLoans.com – best emergency loans for personal loans
- Now10K.com – best emergency loans for short-term credit history
- Upstart.com – best emergency loans for various loan amounts
- Qualifications: You must be 18 years or older, provide your Social Security Number, and show proof of steady monthly income
- Estimated interest rates: APRs range between 169% and 1,825%
- Loan amount: up to $2,500
- Loan type: Short-term loans
- Fees: Vary by the lender
Rapid1K hosts a network of various lenders who provide funding for emergency loans.
The application process to acquire the loan can be completed entirely online and should only take a few minutes to finish.
If approved, you can then review all the terms and conditions of the emergency loan, in addition to the interest rate.
Once the loan terms are accepted by both parties (the borrower and lender), your funds could be available as soon as the next business day.
- You could get approved for an emergency loan with bad credit
- A simple form that only takes a few minutes to complete
- Funds could be obtained within 1 business day
- Loans offered to people with a bad credit score
- Extremely high APRs
- Late payment fees are set by individual lenders
- Qualifications: To complete the online form you must be at least 18 years old, provide proof of citizenship, have a regular income, and have a checking account in your name.
- Estimated APR percentage: 5.99% – 35.99%
- Loan amount: $500-$10,000
- Loan term lengths: 90-day minimum repayment term and a 72 month (6-year) maximum repayment term
It’s important to note that BadCreditLoans.com is not a lender.
The platform is designed to connect you with established lenders and service providers who offer emergency loans to borrowers like you.
When using BadCreditLoans.com, submitting a request for an emergency loan is completely free, even if your loan is not approved by the lender.
In regards to your interest rate, each lender will set its terms and rates on the emergency loan.
You will have the opportunity to review all fees before accepting the personal loan.
- Emergency loan requests up to $10,000
- Free to submit a loan application
- You can get an emergency loan with a bad credit score
- Interest rates vary by lender
- Qualifications: You must meet the following criteria – 18 years or older, valid Social Security Number, steady source of income, valid bank account, and valid email address and phone number.
- Estimated APR percentage: Interest rates vary by lender
- Loan amount: Personal loans up to $10,000
- Loan term lengths: Short-term loans, from 12 to 60 months
PersonalLoans offers personal loans and emergency loans up to $10,000, pending lender approval.
The first step is to complete an online form that asks a few simple questions, like “How much money do you need?” and “What’s your occupation and bank information?”
Then, you will receive a decision on the loan approval in as little as 2 minutes after submitting the request.
If everything goes smoothly and your loan is approved by a lender, you may receive a direct deposit in your bank account as soon as the next business day.
- Lenders may provide several repayment options- such as an auto-renewing loan, paying it back in full, or paying down the principal.
- Some lenders submit funds within minutes.
- Loans are given to borrowers with a low credit score and lacking credit history.
- PersonalLoans has no control over the rates and fees each lender charges.
- If you make a late payment on the personal loan, the lender could report the missed payment to various credit bureaus.
- Qualifications: You must have valid identification, regular income, and a bank account.
- Estimated APR percentage and loan terms: Each lender has different policies, interest rates, and terms and conditions.
- Loan amount: $100-$10,000
Now10K offers personal loan funding, including emergency loans, in just a few minutes.
Every step of the loan application process is made easy and funding (upon lender approval) is made available to you quickly.
All you need to do is fill out a simple online form, submit your information, and wait for a lending decision to be made.
Lenders may approve the personal loan within minutes and deposit the funds into your bank account as soon as the next business day.
Even if you have a bad credit score, you can still get approved for an emergency loan with Now10K.com.
This platform works with various lenders who specialize in fast funding for those with a low credit score.
These lenders look at several factors that impact your finances, including employment history, income, and more. They will work with you and try to accommodate those with a bad credit score.
Don’t let past credit issues stop you from getting an emergency loan with Now10K.com.
- You can request personal loans and emergency loans using any kind of device.
- You can get approved for an emergency loan even with bad credit.
- How much you can borrow will depend heavily on your income and credit score.
- Failure to repay your loan will result in collection calls and interest will continue to accrue on the loan for the entire time it remains unpaid.
- The total loan amount is set by the lender.
- High origination fee
- Minimum credit score: 600
- Estimated APR percentage: 6.95-35.99%
- Loan amount: $1,000-$5,000
- Loan term lengths: 36 or 60 months
- Origination fee: 0-8%
- Late fee: $15 or 5% of the amount due
Upstart is a great option for borrowers with good credit.
You will find low-interest rates ranging from 6.95-35.99% APR and large loan amounts ranging from $1,000 up to $50,000.
This level of flexibility in regards to the personal loan amount is uncommon, helping you get by with any type of emergency.
This emergency loan platform will also consider more than just your credit score when applying for a loan and ultimately determining your interest rate.
Lenders will take your educational background, area of study, and employment history all into account.
- You can get approval for your emergency loan within one business day of your application.
- There is a pre-qualification option to see if you’re eligible for an emergency loan, without prompting a hard credit pull.
- High origination fee
- Late fees are applied if you fail to make a payment within 10 days of the due date
FAQs – Emergency Loans and Personal Loans
What is an emergency loan?
An emergency loan is a type of personal loan that’s used to help with urgent, unexpected expenses – such as medical bills, car, and home repair bills, funeral costs, and more.
Compared to more traditional loan types, emergency loans typically have higher interest rates and stricter loan terms.
Funding can come from an online lender, credit union, and even some banks. Oftentimes, emergency loans are made for either a few thousand or a few hundred dollars and can be deposited within a few business days.
Some emergency loan lenders will even disburse the money the same day the loan gets approved.
That’s why emergency loans are often described as providing borrowers with fast funding.
What are the different types of emergency loans?
There are several different types of emergency loans, each has unique features and services.
A personal loan is the most popular type of emergency loan.
It’s a good option when experiencing an unforeseen financial hardship because the funds are generally distributed quickly, sometimes within the same day of approval.
Additionally, personal loans typically have lower interest rates than credit cards. If you don’t want to add any unexpected expenses to your credit card, you may want to consider applying for a personal loan instead.
For example, many credit cards have interest rates above 17% and the average personal loan interest rate sits at around 11% or lower. Borrowers with good credit may get a rate as low as 6%.
- Tip: The personal loan route is best for borrowers who are in a financial position to score a low interest rate among lenders.
Payday loans are considered short-term loans that are typically required to be paid after your next payday.
While they do not require a credit check, payday loans are extremely risky.
Because the length of the loan is so short, the repayment terms are very strict.
Any failure to make a payment will result in charges of obscenely high interest rates and late fees.
- Tip: Payday loans are best for borrowers who do not qualify for a more standard loan type, with a lower interest rate, and need to borrow money fast. Overall, this type of emergency loan is not widely recommended and should be seen as a last resort.
Home equity loans
Home equity loans and home equity lines of credit are far less common when an emergency expense pops up.
The loan approval process is more extensive, making the timeline to deposit funds into your bank account a lot slower.
Because the lender is thoroughly vetting you as a borrower and the loan is secured by your home, the interest rate will probably be a lot lower.
- Tip: This is best for a homeowner who wants to avoid having their home foreclosed on. But, you must hold sufficient equity in the home (around 15-20%) to request a home equity loan or line of credit. For extremely fast funding for unexpected expenses, a more traditional emergency loan type will work better.
Credit card cash advances
A credit card company may offer you a short-term loan in the form of a cash advance.
This cash advance can be used to pay down debt, for an emergency, or whatever you need the money for.
It’s one of the fastest ways to access money, making it one of the best options when it comes to an emergency loan.
The downside, however, is the interest rate and associated fees are usually sky-high.
- Tip: A cash advance through your credit card company is best for borrowers who need the money ASAP. If you can’t wait until the next day to receive funds, these types of personal loans are a good option. But, it’s still important to keep an eye out for the interest rate.
What are origination fees?
Personal loans will incur various fees aside from the principal balance and interest rate. Lenders may charge a late fee after a missed payment, prepayment penalties for paying off the loan amount before the term has ended, and finally origination fees.
An origination fee is a charge by the lender for processing a new loan application. It’s typically due upfront and used to offset the costs of underwriting and vetting a new loan borrower.
This is something to look out for with any type of loan, but especially an emergency loan.
The origination fee could add up to hundreds of dollars, depending on the loan amount.
It’s usually deducted from your total loan amount.
How do I get an emergency loan with a bad credit score?
As with any loan type, your credit score will have a big impact on all aspects of the loan.
If you’re having trouble qualifying for an emergency loan due to a bad credit score or lack of credit history, don’t worry, you still have some options.
When comparing lenders, keep an eye out for their loan qualifications. All lenders differ in regards to their policies, repayment terms, and minimum credit score requirements.
Certain lenders will have loans that cater to borrowers with a bad credit score. You can also see if the lender allows for co-signers on the loan. Adding someone with good credit to the loan could increase your chances of getting approved, and may even lower the interest rate.
Before committing to a lender, read through the eligibility requirements carefully. This will be especially important for those with a poor credit score or limited credit history.
If you’re looking for an emergency loan and need fast cash, there are several options available to you.
Depending on your credit score and the loan amount you need, you can cover emergency expenses through this type of loan. They are specifically designed to give you the money as quickly as possible.
But keep in mind, many of these loans have high interest rates and fees. For example, the origination fee could cost you hundreds of dollars.
That’s why it is important to compare different lenders, which will help you obtain a quality loan and reasonable rates and terms. We recommend the personal loan services listed above.
We hope this article helps and you get approved for the loan!