Oftentimes, credit score can be the key metric when it comes to buying a home, car, or another large asset. If you have a lower-than-desired credit score, trying to attain these assets can become a hurdle. In this guide today, we want to show you the best credit repair companies and services across the web.
Higher interest rates don’t have to be in your future, though. That’s where credit repair companies come in. They report to all three credit agencies – Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian.
Technically, you can fix the credit report that blemishes you. Getting collections or a late payment taken off your score is possible. It can be time-consuming and downright stressful, though. The best credit repair services are reliable, efficient, and don’t completely break the bank.
Let’s take a look at the most reliable credit repair platforms. Finally, you can see which companies can help you get your credit score up.
The 10 Best Credit Repair Companies in 2021
- Best for Simple Credit Repair: Credit Saint
- Most Experienced Company: Lexington Law
- Best for Affordable Credit Repair: National Debt Relief
- Free Score Evaluation: myFICO
- Most Helpful Experts: Credit Firm
- Best for Extensive Debt: CuraDebt
- Best For Advice: CreditFixGuy.com
- Free Score Audit: Credit Agenda
- Best For Quick Repair: Transunion Credit Repair
- Free Resources: Credit Monkey
Credit Saint: Best for Simple Credit Repair
One of the most comprehensive packages for simple credit repair comes from Credit Saint. While they don’t have all the bells and whistles that more expensive plans do, they are still majorly effective. They have a strong reputation, long-standing history, and a memorable money-back guarantee.
- Different credit repair package options
- Monthly service fees are affordable and pricing is transparent
- Dispute letters are customized and tailored to you
- Solid 90-day money-back guarantee
- They have an A+ BBB rating – one of the few companies in the industry that does
- It’s not yet available in all 50 states of the US
- The initial setup fees are towards the higher end of the industry
Lexington Law: Most Experienced Credit Repair Company
Another effective credit repair service comes from Lexington Law. They understand that good credit repair doesn’t happen overnight. Instead, it takes time, legal input, and true effort. They’re able to provide all three!
- Pricing is reasonable and affordable
- Their legal staff ensures everything is done professionally and legally
- The company has been offering credit repair services since 2004
- Can contact them via phone, chat, or email for superior credit counseling
- Three credit repair plan options: Standard, Moderate, and Aggressive
- Mediocre rating of C with the BBB
National Debt Relief: Best for Most Affordable Credit Repair
Think of National Debt Relief as more of a debt restructuring company. Their reps are trained to help you lower your overall debt amounts. They even brag that there are no upfront fees. However, there are bound to be some hang-ups when it comes to such a perfect-sounding company. Let’s look at the overall pros and cons.
- Solid reputation, with less than 200 complaints across BBB within the past 3 years
- Their soft credit pull at the beginning doesn’t hurt your score
- No upfront fees
- Forget jargon-filled paperwork and long meetings – can sign up over the phone
- Can help with unsecured debt, including:
- Private student loan debt
- Medical bills
- Business debt
- Certain lines of credit
- Credit card debt
- Personal loans
- While there are no upfront fees, individual client fees can get costly
- They haven’t rolled the program out to every state, so enrollment isn’t allowed in the following 9 states:
- New Hampshire
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
myFICO: Free Forum Advice
myFICO is a great credit monitoring system, with an accurate credit scoring system. One thing about this service is if there’s an error on your credit report, it’s your responsibility to dispute it. It acts as more of a credit report service, rather than a credit repair company. Still, you can gather a lot of valuable data from a mid-tier plan with myFICO, so it’s worth checking out.
- According to FICO, 90% of top lenders use your FICO credit score
- Provides credit monitoring and identity theft monitoring
- With certain plans, you get 24/7 identity restoration assistance
- Advanced and Premier plans also provide a $1 million identity theft insurance policy
- Automatically track your FICO Score 8, the most commonly used credit scoring system
- Some lenders do use FICO Score 9 or the new FICO Score 10
- Likewise, other lenders might use the VantageScore credit scoring system
CreditFirm.net: Most Helpful Experts
A great place for no-nonsense, affordable credit repair is CreditFirm.net. They offer a monthly subscription with no additional fees. That means you often pay drastically less than you might with a comparable package with its competitors. It’s not as well-known as some of the other services on our list. However, CreditFirm.net is one of the best credit repair companies.
- They’ve been in the credit repair industry since 1997!
- Phone reps are available 24/7
- Email and web chat options are also available, during regular business hours
- Affordable and low monthly rates
- Unlimited dispute letters to creditors
- Monthly plan is all-inclusive — zero additional fees to watch out for
- Credit monitoring isn’t included
- No customizable dispute letters
Based in Florida, there’s plenty to love about CuraDebt. They have no starting fees, and they’ve provided debt relief nationwide since 2000. The credit repair company even offers help with tax debt issues. This isn’t a service offered by every company. To date, CuraDebt is one of the oldest, largest associations for debt relief.
- No upfront or startup fees
- Excellent user reviews for the company online
- Their initial debt settlement consultation is free
- They work to find any creditor violations that might lead to dismissed debt, cash settlements, or even both!
- Service can help negotiate a wide array of unsecured loans and tax debts
- Their interface may seem clunky to some users
- Not accredited by the BBB
We like a company that thinks outside the box. That’s exactly what CreditFixGuy aims to do. They provide a different approach to improving your credit score. While it requires possibly more effort on your part, you also get far more control.
Other programs will do the credit repair for you, but at the cost of your personal information. CreditFixGuy is an ideal alternative for those that prefer to keep their private info private.
- A unique approach to improving credit scores
- They brag that your satisfaction is guaranteed
- Affordable rates
- Provides you with tools to maintain and improve your credit score
- Dispute letters are customized for your specific needs
- They work with any credit score, low or high
- Since you provide your own credit score, you don’t have to provide your social security number
- Not yet accredited by the BBB
- Requires a bit more effort on your part than other programs
- Not a credit monitoring system
A small credit score service store, CreditAgenda.com is more well-known as the Credit Assistance Network. With no monthly fees and no recent complaints with the BBB, they’re doing well for themselves.
They’ve been in the credit repair industry since 2004. Though their overall costs might be higher than average, there’s still a lot to love about the company.
- In the business for almost 2 decades
- Free initial credit evaluation lets the company determine if they can help you
- No monthly service fees
- Instead, they work off a per-item fixed-price cost setup
- They offer a full range of credit repair services
- While they’re all things credit repair, they don’t offer credit monitoring
- Not accredited by the BBB, though they do have a C+ rating
Of course, Transunion Credit Repair had to be on this list. As one of the three leading credit repair services in the nation, they excel where others can’t. The company focuses on credit protection and credit repair services. While they may not offer as in-depth a credit repair package, they’re certainly worth looking into.
- Provides several tools to assist in repairing your credit score
- Helps you repair your credit score through their subscription services, as well as credit monitoring/tracking
- They also offer identity theft insurance and free ID protection
- Their CreditCompass tool can help you learn how to improve your credit score
- Able to get help without paying exorbitant fees
- Credit tracking can only take you so far
The team over at Credit Monkey has been improving users’ credit since 2014. Newer to the game than many, they make up for it with their outstanding features. They do the work for you, challenging any questionable items with all three credit bureaus. You’re in good hands when you choose Credit Monkey.
- Five-tier package to choose between for credit repair services
- Free credit analysis takes 10 minutes
- Alternatively, you can also get a free consultation
- After they handle uneasy items, they help with routine credit monitoring
- They may be one of the pricier options, though they’re efficient and quick
Frequently Asked Questions About Credit Repair Companies & Services
Have some questions before you jump headfirst into a credit repair company? Fortunately, we have answers. Let’s take a look at some of the most frequently asked questions we get on this subject.
What is a credit repair company?
As the name might suggest, a credit repair company is a company that works to repair credit. They typically excel at debt consolidation, settlement, and routine management.
In short, the best credit repair companies will help improve your credit score. Of course, this does cost a fee. If you find yourself unable to afford a credit repair service, it’s possible to do it on your own. Some companies make it much easier and far more convenient to work with them instead of trying it solo, though.
How much does credit repair cost?
This depends on the individual. Everyone is different, so credit repair can range wildly in price. According to our research, the average is between $19 and $149 per month. There are often low upfront fees, in addition. Likewise, other fees may be added on, like an additional credit report.
Make sure you go over every fine print detail before signing up with a credit repair service. Be aware of everything you’ll be paying for. Also, be aware of everything you might have to pay for going forward. This can help you map out which company is ideal for your needs.
Do credit repair services work?
That’s an understandable question. It’s easy to be unsure when results aren’t instant. Unfortunately, credit repair simply takes time. While most things in this modern age can come instantly, credit repair requires routine time and effort.
So, yes, credit repair services work – if you give them enough time. Some companies will give you a transparent estimate. They explain it’ll take 24 to 48 months to see the most impactful results. That’s 2 to 4 years of work!
Meanwhile, other companies offer a 90-day money-back guarantee. So, how can they offer a guarantee if it takes so long?
Well, you’re likely to see some kind of result by 90 days. As credit repair takes time, you may see a boost towards the beginning. This is just your starting number, though. The important thing to keep in mind is to truly give it time for credit repair to work.
How to spot a credit repair scam
Not every company has your best interest at heart. You must be able to distinguish between an authentic credit repair company and a scam. There are regulations and rules in place by the FTC (the Federal Trade Commission).
The FTC also provides several signs to watch out for in a scam. An authentic credit repair company will never do any of the following:
- Skip over your legal rights when they go over their services
- Encourage false information on loan or credit applications
- Dispute items that are correct on your credit report
- Discourage you from contacting credit reporting agencies yourself
- Ask for large sums of money upfront
What are the benefits of credit repair?
They might seem obvious, but there are likely some benefits you’ve never thought of. What can you do with a better credit score?
- Get more affordable homeowner’s insurance
- No longer have a security deposit on new utilities
- Qualify for a stellar cell phone plan
- Negotiate easier, because the ball is in your court now
- Get approved easier for rentals
- Qualify for credit cards that have a higher limit with lower APRs
- Walk with confidence about your credit score!
- Have a higher chance at a love life
If you’re one for love, you should know 58% of Americans are against marrying someone deep in debt. To top off the benefits, know that a higher credit score might increase your love life chances.
Wrapping Up Our Guide on the Best Credit Repair Companies & Services
As you can see, there are plenty of top-level companies to choose from. We hope this guide on the best credit repair companies helped you find one that meets your needs. Each of the services on our list has its strengths and weaknesses. From here, you can get your free consultations and see which company fits you.