Everyday, more and more people are turning their backs on prescribed, addictive opioid medications. Instead, they’re searching for alternatives. Enter kratom: a natural solution derived from plants that’s easing the effects of arthritis, chronic pain, joint aches, and more.
First imported to the US in the 1980s, it is estimated that around 3 to 5 million people in the country now benefit from the effects of kratom.
We’ve rounded up the best kratom for pain. We’ll explain how these strains block chronic pain, what effects you can expect, and which vendors to choose from.
Top 3 Kratom Strains for Pain Management in 2021
There are many strains of kratom out there that alleviate pain symptoms. With the plant becoming a herbal alternative to harsh and expensive painkillers, it’s no wonder that people are opting to reduce their pain, increase their energy and boost their mood using kratom.
However, you have to remember that each strain works differently. Even if they come from the same vein type (red vein, white vein, green vein, etc.), you can expect different ways of managing pain.
Want to know how to calm your aches and pains using kratom? Here are three strains of kratom that have proved both extremely effective and beneficial when it comes to pain relief:
Maeng Da is known to be one of the most effective strains when it comes to managing pain. This is due to its high concentration of flavonoids and alkaloids like mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, in comparison to other strains.
This variant comes from several mature kratom trees in Southeast Asia. It’s then produced using a process called grafting, which brings together several strains into one. The result is a strain that has the best effects from several other strains. That’s why Maeng Da is the ultimate kratom hybrid and one of the most powerful strains you can get.
Maeng Da produces a strong and pleasant smell, with its leaves turning bright green when it is ground down into a powder. Instead of sedating the user, Maeng Da does the opposite. It stimulates and boosts energy, meaning it’s favored for daytime use.
Benefits of Maeng Da Kratom
- Pain relief: Because of its high levels of alkaloids, Maeng Da is great for relieving pain, muscle soreness, any form of chronic pain and exhaustion. Even though the alkaloids in this strain mimic the effects of morphine, a medication renowned for very strong pain-relieving properties, Maeng Da is not nauseating or sedating at standard doses.
- Energy boost: The alkaloids present in Maeng Da kratom allow its users to maintain high energy levels and focus once it has been ingested. It also doesn’t induce the sometimes severe side effects that overindulging in caffeine can bring, such as anxiety, insomnia, or stomach issues.
- Antidepressant qualities: Because Maeng Da is a natural stimulant, the strain acts as an antidepressant. By improving a person’s mood and reducing emotional distress, Maeng Da speeds up pain-relief and brightens the user’s outlook. In turn, this can increase productivity.
- Better sleep: If you have insomnia, taking a slightly higher dose can help with sleeping. Higher doses of Maeng Da can induce sedative qualities, reducing stress and improving sleep.
- Arthritis relief: A combination of mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine blocks the brain’s pain receptors, significantly reducing the discomfort a person feels. As arthritis is a chronic illness associated with inflammation and severe pain in the fingers and other joints, Maeng Da provides almost instant pain relief, which makes the strain so popular among pain sufferers.
Grown mainly in countries such as Bali and Thailand, Red Bali contains 25 kratom alkaloids. The high alkaloid levels are what make this strain a great option for chronic pain management. Its scent is soothing, which adds to its calming effects.
While growing, Red Bali has dark green leaves with a red vein running through them, hence the name. It is considered one of the most authentic varieties of the kratom plant.
Benefits of Red Bali Kratom
- Analgesic properties: The Red Bali strain acts as an effective analgesic because of the high amounts of alkaloids it contains. Users opt for Red Bali for its effectiveness on severe pain without any negative side effects when taken at a standard dose. This has made it a common alternative to prescription painkillers for those wanting a more natural solution with fewer adverse effects.
- Reduces anxiety: Red Bali has opioid properties, which make it very effective for reducing stress. The strain can act quickly, with patients noting they feel calmer, less anxious, and more relaxed almost instantly. Since Red Bali kratom has some opioid properties due to shared alkaloids, it can ‘mimic’ the effect of opioids on the brain, tricking the body and reducing aches, pains, and fevers associated with withdrawal.
- Improves alertness: Red Bali contains a high dosage of the alkaloid also found in coffees and energy drinks. Naturally, this makes it easier for a person to stay active and alert in low doses.
- Sedative properties: At higher doses, it acts as a strong sedative. If you want to take Red Bali for pain relief, you’ll want to take a standard dose of 3-5 grams, which might make you drowsy. That’s why we recommend taking Red Bali at night, while Red Borneo is better for daytime use.
- Mood boost: With a mild energy boost, it can enhance your mood and spirit, too. Low moods can exacerbate pain in people. Using Red Bali can inject confidence and a more positive outlook into a person’s life.
Red Borneo is known as one of the classic kratom varieties. Originating from Southeast Asia, it is traditionally ground into a fine consistency and has a dark green shade. Its earthy scent is pleasant and relaxing.
The strain has concentrated alkaloids that present long-lasting pain relief, with the variant presenting soothing qualities.
As with any type of kratom, be wary not to consume high levels of Red Borneo. A side effect of taking higher doses than recommended can cause nausea.
Benefits of Red Borneo Kratom
- Pain relief: Red Borneo is great for relieving mild and acute pains. It is a slow-acting strain, with people often using small doses regularly on a long-term basis.
- Calming effects: If you are looking to ease chronic pain and feel sedative effects, then taking a higher dose of Red Borneo will work without dizziness or nausea. This strain has a calming effect on your nerves. It is great for managing anxiety and easing general stress. Its soothing scent is a perfect choice if you are seeking relaxation.
- Reduces stress: Red Borneo can enhance a person’s happiness and make them feel lighter and less stressed. The strain has brilliant mood-boosting properties and can not only improve depression but also brighten a person’s perspective on life.
- Boosts productivity: This strain can improve energy levels because of its alkaloid components. Red Borneo helps people function better and is a good choice if you want extra motivation to be highly productive.
- Improves cognitive performance: Red Borneo improves focus and sharpens the mind. It’s known as the ultimate relaxer, which makes it ideal for situations when you might want to be more social.
How Does Kratom Work For Chronic Pain?
As we’ve discussed in this guide, Maeng Da, Red Bali, and Red Borneo are the best kratom strains to combat pain. That’s because the compound in all three of these strains, 7-hydroxymitragynine, is an impressive painkiller.
Once ingested, 7-hydroxymitragynine binds to your body’s pain receptors, which are mu, kappa, and delta-opioid receptors. However, even though kratom targets the opioid receptors in the same way as codeine and morphine, it is not considered an opioid. Kratom interacts with the receptors without triggering the same harrowing side effects as opioids.
Where to Buy the Best Kratom Strains for Pain
With the plant providing such positive and effective pain relief, kratom is becoming more popular in the Western world. People are beginning to opt for ancient, herbal medicines rather than opioid prescription drugs.
However, that also means a rise in customer demand and vendors open for business. Not all of these shops are trustworthy, especially if they don’t have a long history selling kratom and approval from nationally recognized kratom organizations.
It’s easy to fall into the trap of ordering a bad supply if you don’t know what makes a great vendor.
We’re saving you time spent researching by providing you with the best vendors below. These vendors have established reputations for fast service, wide inventories, friendly customer service, and quality products.
Here are three of the best kratom vendors that stock kratom strains known for beating pain:
If a broad product range is your priority, Kona Kratom should be your first stop. Kona specializes in a huge variety of Southeast Asian kratom strains and offers its products at a great, affordable price.
It’s almost overwhelming how many strains you can get from Kona. Ranging from the famous Bali and Borneo strains to the more niche Maeng Da kratom, Kona has a great selection for you to choose from when looking for painkilling kratom. The company actually has close ties to Southeast Asian farmers, whom they work with to source the highest quality kratom at great prices.
What’s more, the company is approved by the American Kratom Association, which vets the best kratom vendors for customers. Expect a money-back guarantee just in case their products aren’t for you and a customer support team that’s ready to help if you need it. You can order any of these products at your leisure without worrying about wasting your money.
- Impressively broad product range
- All products are third-party lab-tested to ensure quality
- Offers a money-back guarantee
- Works closely with Southeast Asian suppliers
Star Kratom is a great vendor for those who want their products fast. This vendor hasn’t been open for as long as the others on the list, but they’ve accumulated great customer reviews in a short period, which shows their dedication to pleasing customers.
They also ship products fast. When we say fast, we mean quicker than most suppliers. You can get your products shipped to you in a few days and 2-3 days faster than the competition. That’s because Star is located near a huge postal hub and is used to sending out large quantities of kratom daily.
Enjoy a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee when you go with Star.
- Third-party testing
- Fast shipment
- Money-back guarantee
VIP Kratom is where you go if you want the best quality kratom with absolutely no risk. VIP has a strict system in place for testing kratom and selecting which strains to sell. These high standards have accumulated a loyal customer base and approval from the American Kratom Association.
If it’s not premium kratom, it’s not listed on the website. You can’t get the best prices or fastest shipping, but once you try VIP Kratom’s products, you’ll have a hard time resisting the urge to update your shopping cart immediately.
- Premium products
- AKA approved
- Third-party testing
- Friendly customer support
Conclusion — Using Kratom for Pain
With its pain management benefits for all types of symptoms, pains, and ailments, kratom is a versatile alternative option to traditional opioids. The strains we covered in this guide all have high levels of alkaloids, which make them the best kratom for pain. Go with Maeng Da if you want the most versatile effects, or choose Red Bali or Red Borneo if you’re interested in nuanced effects.
No matter what, you can’t go wrong with these strains and our three recommended vendors. Keep in mind that each vendor will also offer different ways to consume your kratom, including capsules, tinctures, powders, etc.
We recommend reaching out to their customer support teams with any questions about the best way to take kratom for your symptoms. We know these vendors will be happy to share more about their products and guide you towards your ideal kratom for pain.